Monday, March 28, 2011

Tribute to a special young man

Friday night we all got together to celebrate Allen's 23rd birthday. This is just not any celebration for me, because Allen came to be a part of our family in the nontraditional way. Unlike our other three children, I can't tell you what I was doing on March 25, 1988. I don't know what the weather was like. Because Allen joined our family through adoption on June 16, 1988, this is the day that I can tell you exactly what the weather was like and the unbelievable anticipation Mike and I had as we traveled down to the NICU at the Med to bring him home. We were absolutely beside ourselves at the thought of adding this precious new life to our family. When Allen was born he weighed only 2lbs. 1 oz. He was so critical for a couple of months that it was unknown if he would live or not, but God had other plans for Allen.

Allen, I want you to know that you may not carry my genes, but you are the child that is most like me. You always know what I am thinking and we think exactly alike. I love you from the very bottom of my being and know that our lives would not be complete without you. God may have chosen another mother to carry you, but I am 100% sure you were made to join our family through adoption. We are so thankful for a woman that was willing to give you life in order that our life could be made fuller and complete.

You have grown up to be such lovable young man. You are adored by your nieces and nephew. They think you are the greatest. I admire the way that I have seen the Lord work in your life over the past few years. I look forward to what is in store for the rest of your life. You are a delight to be with and I always enjoy your company.

Please know that you are the child that was born in my heart and I love you with all my heart. I love you son!

3 comments:

  1. I have tears in my eyes! So precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet!!! You are a mother to many :) I'm convinced there is no greater calling. Paul wasn't your own, but you loved him like he was and I'm convinced that he is who he is today in part from your investment into his life when he was so young ... as his wife, I can say without hesitation, thank you.

    -Heather Bruce

    ReplyDelete